For a variety of reasons, many Disabled People’s User-Led Organisations have not engaged in fundraising activities.
As the current funding based for DPULOs faces more and more challenges, an increasing number of DPULOs are looking afresh at the issue of fundraising and whether it represents an opportunity to their organisation and its sustainability.
Whilst the Strengthening DPULOs Programme itself has not views on whether or not DPULOs should or shouldn’t engage in fundraising, we recognise the challenges facing DPULOs in considering the pros and cons of this potential source of income.
We would therefore like to explore this issue in more depth, and create a practical options tool to support DPULOs in their own deliberations on this topic.
What we are going to do
We would like to commission a discussion and options paper – from a DPULO itself – to explore the issue of DPULOs and fundraising.
The objectives of the discussion and options paper would be to:
- Set out the historical perspective of DPULOs and the issue of fundraising
- Summarise current fundraising trends, as well as government initiatives to further encourage different types of giving
- Highlight any relevant good practice of DPULOs currently undertaking fundraising activity
- Identify as far as possible the general pros of why a DPULO should consider engaging in fundraising
- Identify as far as possible the general cons of why a DPULO shouldn’t consider engaging in fundraising
- Create a practical options tool that can support a DPULO in their deliberations on fundraising, comprising:
- Examples of different forms of fundraising (e.g. Gift Aid, door-to-door, online, legacies, direct mail)
- The pros and cons of each form of fundraising for DPULOs
- Signpost to relevant resources to implement any decision the DPULO takes.
The structure of the paper would broadly reflect the objectives above.
How you can get involved
We would like to commission a DPULO to write this discussion and options paper. The work would be primarily desk-based, although we are open to any suggestions organisations have that would enable the objectives above to be achieved whilst also delivering value for money.
As a broad guide, we anticipate this work would take between 15-20 days to complete.
Expressions of Interest
We would like organisations to submit a brief (no more than 2 sides A4) Expression of Interest to deliver this discussion and options paper
Your Expression of Interest should cover:
- The DPULO’s understanding and experience of the historical relationship between DPULOs and charitable giving / fundraising
- The DPULO’s knowledge of current trends in fundraising and giving, and government initiatives to encourage this
- Experience of developing tools / templates for others to use
- Your organisation’s capacity to demonstrate the ability to deliver this work in a short timescale
- Your proposed daily rate for this work.
This Expression of Interest will be considered and marked by the Strengthening DPULOs Programme team, and the successful organisation will be chosen solely on the basis of the information provided. The work will be resourced through a grant to the successful organisation.
Please submit your Expression of Interest to Richard.Watts1@dwp.gsi.gov.uk by 5pm on Friday 14 December.
If you have any questions, please get in touch with Rich above. Similarly, if you know an organisation that may be interested, please pass this information on to them.