The Strengthening DPULOs programme is bringing together a collection of case studies exploring how DPULOs and commissioners have worked well together for the benefit of disabled people in their communities.
A full summary of this work is outlined at the end of this post.
The collection of case studies will show commissioners how practically DPULOs can work with them, in anticipation that it will encourage them to start, or continue, working closely with DPULOs in their area.
Living Options Devon will be coordinating this work on behalf of the Strengthening DPULOs programme.
How you can get involved
We are looking for a range of case study examples for the collection. As the coordinating DPULO, Living Options Devon will work with the DPULOs who are contributing case studies to support their effective contribution.
The Strengthening DPULOs programme have agreed to pay each DPULO who contributes a case study for one day’s work at £340 per day.
What is needed
There is a lot of good work happening between DPULOs and commissioners. We are looking for case studies that showcase a range of examples of good practice. This means that unfortunately we won’t be able to include every DPULO who expresses an interest.
A list of case study examples which we would like the collection to include has been put together, in coproduction with DPULOs, commissioners and other interested stakeholders – these are outlined below. We would like to hear from you if your DPULO could provide us with a case study which fits any of these examples, though we are particularly interested in the examples which are in italics.
- Commissioners reserving contracts for DPULOs using existing legislation and regulations (i.e. article 19 of the EU Procurement Directive Significant contracts being issued for voice/engagement-related work
- Strategic partnerships / secondments between DPULOs and commissioners
- Commissioners working with DPULOs to support their move into new service delivery areas or taking over a failing service
- Effective engagement between DPULOs and emerging Health & Wellbeing Boards and local HealthWatch organisations
- A commissioner using a Section 106 agreement to benefit / establish a ULO
- How DPULOs and commissioners have worked together to deliver value for money at a time of austerity
- How commissioners and DPULOs have worked constructively together without compromising independence or voice
- A DPULO working with a commissioner to coproduce a tender specification
- How a DPULO and commissioner have worked together to address TUPE issues
- An example of a DPULO and commissioner working effectively together in employment, education or transport
If you would be interested in sharing your experiences and learning through a case study so that other DPULOs and commissioners can benefit please use the contact details below with a brief explanation of:
- The practicalities of the relationship between your DPULO and the commissioner
- If the relationship with your commissioner relates to one of the examples above please identify which and explain
- A brief summary of the successful results of this relationship.
Please email your reply to Kelly Mavro at Living Options – Kelly.Mavro@livingoptions.org – by 10 December 2012.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Kelly via email or phone 01392 459222.
Please share this information with any other people/networks who you think might be interested.