It is my genuine hope that you all had better things to do over the weekend than look at links on the internet. Assuming this was the case, the Friday Puzzle returns today with its usual collection of links and internet paraphernalia.
As ever, thanks go to Wrighty for being the arbiter of this fine feature.
First, the answer to last week’s puzzle:
How many minutes is it until six o’clock if fifty minutes ago it was four times as many minutes past three o’clock?
The answer was twenty-six minutes until six o’clock. (We found ourselves in the unusual position of someone actually sending in an answer to this puzzle. What’s more, it was correct. Thus, kudos to Sam O.J. for that marvellous bit of mental dexterity.)
Here’s this week’s puzzle, courtesy of Brainbashers:
Assuming that there are nearly 7,000,000,000 (7 billion) people on Earth, estimate the size of number you’d get if you multiplied together the number of fingers on everyone’s hands. For this calculation, it might be easier to count a thumb as a finger. How many zeroes would this number have? How many beaches of sand would this be? How far into the galaxy could we reach if your answer was converted to miles? How many zebras would you need to have this many hairs?
Good luck with that one.
- Entire Facebook Staff Laughs As Man Tightens Privacy Settings
- Win our iPad
- Human Body in a Vacuum
- Globe journalist’s son crashes $180,000 Porsche
- Federation rolling news
- USC has built a headcrab from Half Life 2
- Armed and Dangerous (“Yeah, it’s a 50 caliber. They used to use it to hunt buffalo with… up close! It’s only legal in two states. And this isn’t one of them.”)
- Hand Cut Double Dovetail Experiment
- You Wouldn’t Drink 9 Year Old Milk…
- Iron Baby
- My Desk Is 8-bit
- More Eco-Beauty at Twitter